Where To Get An EPC For Your Property

When you are looking to sell or rent a property you will need an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate).

An EPC provides information about how energy efficient a home is. It will give information about its typical energy use and energy costs, as well as recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. An EPC rating provides a property with a rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). If the rating is nearer an A rating, then the cost of running the property will be lower.

An EPC is a legal requirement before you sell or rent out a property and if you don’t have one then you can be fined. The certificates are valid for 10 years.

When do I need to get an EPC?

You will need to have an EPC available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property to buyers or renters.

Where do I get an EPC?

If you are selling your property through an estate agent then they will usually provide one for you. If you are selling the property yourself, then you will need to get one from an accredited energy assessor. They come to your property to conduct an energy assessment and will need to access all the rooms in your property, including the loft space. They will also want to look at your heating controls.

You can expect to pay approximately £35 for an EPC but it really depends on the size of the house. A certificate for a large house could cost more than this.

When you purchase or rent out a property, you will be given a copy of the EPC but if you are unsure you can search for it for free, via the EPC Register.

If you have any questions around EPC rating, then please get in touch.

Scroll to Top